What is the FAMLI program?
Colorado voters approved Proposition 118 in November of 2020, paving the way for a state-run Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance (FAMLI) program. The FAMLI program will ensure all Colorado workers have access to paid leave in order to take care of themselves or their family during life circumstances that pull them away from their jobs — like growing their family or taking care of a loved one with a serious health condition.
Beginning on January 1, 2024, nearly every Colorado worker who earns at least $2,500 in yearly wages within the state will be eligible to take paid family and medical leave during covered circumstances:
- To care for a new child, including adopted and fostered children
- To care for themselves, if they have a serious health condition
- To care for a family member with a serious health condition
- To make arrangements for a family member’s military deployment
- To address the immediate safety needs and impact of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
What does this mean for me?
PASCO employees who earn at least $2500 in yearly wages will be eligible to apply for these benefits starting on January 1, 2024.
Colorado Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance (FAMLI) Program’s tax will go into effect on January 1, 2023. This program requires employers and employees to make equal tax contributions to the program. All employees will see a new tax withholding equal to 0.45% of wages listed on their pay stubs.
Important reminders for PASCO families utilizing FAMLI benefits:
- The State of Colorado will approve each leave request. There is going to be a web portal for each person to apply for FAMLI leave. The portal is not yet live, but PASCO will inform all employees know when it is up and available on the state website.
- The State of Colorado will be paying employees who are approved for this leave directly. PASCO will not be paying the employee the approved FAMLI funds during the time of leave.
- Employees will be paid 60% of the gross weekly income up to a maximum of $1,100 per week while utilizing FAMLI leave.
- Employees can use sick or vacation time from PASCO to make up the difference to 100% of gross weekly income.